Proud New Owner of a Dreamcast! (Seeking Up to Date Answers for Questions!)

[Released: 1998] Born out of Sega's darkest hour to decide whether the company stays in the hardware business. Even though it didn't officially last long in the US, it was continued selling in Japan and spawned some great 2D Japanese shooters.

/dreamcast
Corporate

Proud New Owner of a Dreamcast! (Seeking Up to Date Answers for Questions!)

Post by /dreamcast »

I was out today and I finally pushed myself to pick one up after mulling the prospect over for a few months now. The price was great, and aside from some yellowing that I can clean up, it seems to be in complete working order! I've never owned one of these before, but I'm extremely excited to explore the great library available for the system and trying to get it online at some point.
What I'd like to ask the community is a few questions, due to searches pulling up lots of old answers that may not be the best solutions for things any longer, plus it may enlighten some other people who catch the thread! Thanks in advance for any responses you can offer!
[HR][/HR] 1) What's the current best solution for video output in your opinion? I've seen VGA and VGA-to-HDMI thrown around, but I can't seem to nail down which is best right now.
2) How's the vibration pack? Does a compatibility list exist for what games support it? Does it work with everything?
3) Is it worth swapping the battery out in the VMU if it's never been changed?
4) Which controllers are the best? Does a regular one feel the best and do the trick? Are there better third party options now?
5) Do I have to actively worry about opening the Dreamcast up to do stuff inside if it's never been opened before? I know the time battery is likely long since dead, but are there any more pressing time critical things to do within the next few months of ownership?
6) Just for fun, what're your top three must play games for the Dreamcast? These can be hidden gems or more obvious games, since the only one I've got at the moment is Shenmue.

submitted by /u/TheLaughingSailor
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Dreamcast Forums”