Fixing old bricked 3DS?

[Released: 2011] The 3DS is similar to the DS, but is capable of projecting stereoscopic 3D effects without the use of 3D glasses or additional accessories. A redesigned "XL" version of the console was also released.

/3ds
Corporate

Fixing old bricked 3DS?

Post by /3ds »

I have an old original 3DS that I left gathering dust after replacing with a New3DS a while back, but considering Nintendo has basically officially pulled support, now would be a good time to get into hacking the system.
The issue I have is when I start it up, both screens are black and the wireless light blinks for a moment before staying on. I can hit the power button and sometimes it brings me to the "do you want to power off or go to sleep?" screen, and if I choose to go to the home menu, it gets stuck in the transition.
I've forced it to update using the L+R+Up+A thing, and it successfully updated to no improvement. When I close the lid the screens do turn off, and when in the update screen I can turn off and on the wireless switch and it seems to work fine.
I followed some instructions online doing things like reseating the wifi chip and checking for loose connections, but I can't get into the bottom of the motherboard (though I'm not actually sure if it will help).
My system looks a little different from the one on the ifixit teardown, with certain parts stuck in place and some writing on mine.
https://m.imgur.com/a/tUewCiJ
I've also read that it can be due to a bad battery, but I don't know how to test that. It holds a charge, if that's the issue, though I assume it has to do with the wrong amount of power output or something.
Anyone have any idea how to fix this thing? Thanks!

submitted by /u/cscx
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “3DS Forum”