I did the 101 screen mod on my OG GBA a few years ago. Now I want to do it again, but so much has changed! Help!

[Released: 1989] The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series. Despite many other technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success.

/gameboy
Corporate

I did the 101 screen mod on my OG GBA a few years ago. Now I want to do it again, but so much has changed! Help!

Post by /gameboy »

Hey all!
A bunch of years ago I bought a busted GBA SP with the backlit screen and dropped it into my non-SP GBA with no issue. I ended up donating it though (a friend sold it for a local animal shelter auction), because the screen being dimmer than my 101 really annoyed me. I have read that the screen not being as bright has been resolved, which got me interested in doing this again.

The problem is, I am not sure exactly *HOW* the brighter mod is done. I bought this exact 101 screen: https://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/game-boy-advance-sp-backlit-lcd-screen

The reason I bought that specific one is because Kitsch Bent sells some really awesome exclusive stuff, and I figured they might have a nicer LCD than the rest; plus their description specifically mentions their screen is brighter than the rest.

That being said, is anything needed to get the brighter display? I was getting the idea that it was simply a wire that needed to be soldered, but then why do voltage step-up boards exist? Here is one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GBA-AGS-101-LCD-Mod-Voltage-Step-Up-Conversion-Board-Makes-LCD-Even-Brighter/302945077379

Is that required to get the full brightness?

I am also having a lot of trouble figuring out what is needed to adjust the brightness levels. I know they make 32/40 pin ribbon adapters that have a little physical switch on them, but that doesn't seem like a great idea because you have to take the battery case off and I am pretty sure the batteries have to be taken out which is not ideal. The only thing I can find is this brightness PCB from BennVenn: https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/digital-backlight-brightness-controller-for-gbc-and-gba-101-lcds?variant=48320644564

Is that required to adjust brightness? If so, is there somewhere else to get one? BennVenn has been sold out for a while, and when I searched eBay for "GBA backlight controller" the only results are one asshole selling it for a 300% markup. Is this BennVenn board the literal only way to adjust the brightness without that switch near the battery?

Finally, the only other thing I disliked about my OG GBA with the 101 screen was the dust. This drove me INSANE. I guess there was a gap in between the front glass/plastic and the LCD itself. So if dust got in the cartridge slot or some other hole in the system, it would eventually make its way onto the screen. This would happen often if I put the system in my pocket. It would only be 1 or 2 specs but it was torture and the only way to remove it was to remove the plastic/glass screen to get to it, which was so annoying. I know I installed that screen correctly, so do they now offer some sort of border or foam barrier to prevent dust? I know the 101 screen and especially that new IPS screen are different levels of thickness than the OG GBA's non-backlit screen, so this would be a great thing if it exists; but if it does, I don't know where to get it.

If it costs me a bit more to include something that provides better battery life, I am all ears on that by the way. Anyway sorry this is a bit long but I wanted to get everything out in one post. I am just trying to make sure I have a way better experience with the mod this time, so I really appreciate any responses I get. Thank you!! :)

submitted by /u/yipchow
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Game Boy Forum”