Issues booting with the Noctua Fan Mod

[Released: 1998] Born out of Sega's darkest hour to decide whether the company stays in the hardware business. Even though it didn't officially last long in the US, it was continued selling in Japan and spawned some great 2D Japanese shooters.

/dreamcast
Corporate

Issues booting with the Noctua Fan Mod

Post by /dreamcast »

I recently modded a dreamcast with a gdemu clone, removed 12v voltage regulator from the psu, and installed the noctua fan mod. Last night my dreamcast stopped booting. It would go through the boot sequence, and then cut the video/audio. I realized it was related to the fan. After 10 seconds or so of the fan not spinning, the console will cut out. The fan always tries to start, but then just doesn't. Replacing with the old fan fixed the issue, but can anyone shed some light on this? I originally thought it wasn't securely connected, but after testing I am really not sure. Is it possible that the length of the cable could be the issue? I didn't shorten the fan cable, and I am using a modified connector with the 10k resistor. Or, is it possible that removing the 12v voltage regulator is the culprit? Everything is fine when the fan decides to work, but the airflow is less than half that of the original stock fan. Is this supposed to be the case? I was under the impression that the noctua fan was quiet and provided the same or more airflow than stock.

submitted by /u/swineflugamesh
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Dreamcast Forums”