Trying to update firmware on a new-to-me PSP-1001

[Released: 2004] The PSP is the only handheld console to use an optical disc format as its primary storage medium. Other distinguishing features of the console include its large viewing screen and robust multi-media capabilities.

/psp
Corporate

Trying to update firmware on a new-to-me PSP-1001

Post by /psp »

I ended up getting a PSP-1001 for free a few years ago and finally got around to trying to use it. Firmware is wildly outdated--system information says 2.60--so obviously I need to update that, but it won't connect to wifi, maybe because the firmware is so old. It didn't have a memory card so I ordered a compatible 16gb card off eBay, which turned out to be a microSD with a Pro Duo adapter. The PSP seemed to have no trouble recognizing and formatting it, but when I connect the PSP to my computer (Windows 7) in USB mode, my PC says I have to format the disc before I can use it. For some reason Windows is detecting the card's size as 2.83gb; if I try formatting it as FAT32, I just get "Windows was unable to complete the format". I also tried exFAT and aside from the fact that it shrunk the card's detectable size to about 4gb, that seemed to let me copy the updated firmware onto the card...but the PSP said there was no data on the card. FAT was similar except the PSP couldn't even read it. I don't have a card reader so I can't put anything on the card that way.
And...I just tried a couple UMDs and the PSP makes noise but eventually says it can't read the disc...which wouldn't make it totally worthless because I have a couple games I could download to it, except of course I can't connect to wifi. So, uh...is there anything else I can try, or is it just bricked and the best thing I can do is see if a game store will give me a few bucks for it as a trade-in?

submitted by /u/100indecisions
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “PlayStation Portable Forum”