PSP Hacking 101 - Basic Info

[Released: 2004] The PSP is the only handheld console to use an optical disc format as its primary storage medium. Other distinguishing features of the console include its large viewing screen and robust multi-media capabilities.

/psp
Corporate

PSP Hacking 101 - Basic Info

Post by /psp »

Welcome to the PSP subreddit!
This post will aim to provide answers to frequently asked questions and other helpful information for new users to the console or the subreddit. If you feel something is missing, contact /u/dcs28.
[HR][/HR] [h=1]Getting Started[/h] Please read over the FAQ page on the wiki here for more answered questions.
Our Wiki is updated somewhat regularly to provide you with enough content to get you started.
psp.reddit.com/wiki
What device is best for you?
There are really 4 main options to choose from when looking to get a PSP. This page covers in detail of differences of each model
1) PSP 1000/2000/3000
2) PSP Go (N1000)
3) PSP Street (E1000)
4) PS Vita 1000/2000
Option 1 gives you the classic PSP handheld. The PSP Go is more compact and has a smaller screen; it it great for taking it on the road. The Street (E1000) is a bare bones system and will get the job done, but is missing some features like stereo speakers and WiFi. The last option would be to get a Vita and hack it; anything that can run on a PSP will run on the Vita via Adrenaline (any Vita questions can be directed to /r/VitaHacks). Feel free to search previous threads discussing what model is best to get.
Here is a comparison for all PSP models
Here is a comparison listed from Wikipedia
Regarding RAM:
All models have 64mb of RAM other than the 1000 series; it has 32mb. This means that very few homebrew applications will not run as fast as other models, and very few plugins will not work with the 1000 series because of the limited RAM. Some emulator games on more recent consoles (GBA / Genesis / SNES) will show some slow down unless some settings are changed within the emulator.
What is the last digit of the model number?
That last digit defines the region the PSP was made for. All PSP games are region free and will work on any PSP. UMD movies are region locked. The Japanese models have X/O swapped and can be reversed with custom firmware.
x000 - Japan
x001 - North America
x002 - Australia/New Zealand
x003 - UK
x004 - Europe
x005 - Korea
x006 - Hong Kong/Singapore
x007 - Taiwan
x008 - Russia
x009 - China
x010 - Latin America
Where can I find a PSP to purchase?
With the PSP out of production, you will be looking at any second-hand shops or sites. Generally, you will find lower prices locally than Ebay or Amazon.
Examples include:
- Ebay
- Craigslist
- CEX - Letgo
- Facebook
- Kijiji
- Amazon
- Used game stores
- Pawn shops
[HR][/HR] [h=1]Custom Firmware (CFW)[/h] How do I get custom firmware on my PSP?
You can view this detailed site by Hackinformer.com to walk you through the process of getting CFW
What firmware version should I go to?
For the best compatibility, you want to be on 6.20 or later. This includes compatibility for PSP & PSX games, homebrew, and plugins. There are rare circumstances to go to a firmware below 6.20.
PSP 1000/2000/3000:
- Can have permanent CFW via cIPL or Infinity
- 6.60 or 6.61 recommended
PSP Street (E1000):
- Temporary firmware only
- 6.60 or 6.61 recommened
PSP Go:
- Debated because of the pause feature not working with Infinity exploit
- If you want permanent CFW with the pause feature; use 6.20 CFW
- If you want online functionality with the pause feature; use 6.60/6.61 temporary CFW
- Using the Infinity exploit (6.61) breaks the pause feature
What are some cool things I can do with CFW?
Play backup PSP or PSX games, homebrew games or utilities, and plugins are all available once custom firmware is installed to the system.
For a list of homebrew to browse through, please visit: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/wiki/homebrew
What CFW do I choose?
This should be an easy decision as there are only a handful of options to go with. PRO AND LME / ME are the two to choose from. The main difference between the two is the VSH menu colour can be changed in LME and each has their own UMD driver for compatibility. Both will play all PSP titles.
Another option will be if you want permanent or temporary CFW.
Temporary CFW:
The safest option for new users to try out custom firmware.
-Run the PRO/LME updater to install CFW. Run the recovery software included if the device shuts off to enable CFW again.
Permanent CFW:
An obvious permanent upgrade for users who always want custom firmware enabled, even after rebooting. Please be aware that there is always a risk when installing permanent firmware to the PSP systems. Read thoroughly and make sure you don't loose power during an update.
- Run the cIPL flasher on PSP 1000 models only (some 2000 models can use this but check the hackinformer.com guide or ask the community)
- Run the Infinity exploit to allow your device to have permanent CFW. Infinity supports all models EXCEPT the PSP Street (E1000).
[HR][/HR] Feel free to ask any question in here regarding the PSP or join the subreddit IRC channel here

submitted by /u/dcs28
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “PlayStation Portable Forum”