Update on VA0 with no video, now with video, but just black screen

[Released: 1998] Born out of Sega's darkest hour to decide whether the company stays in the hardware business. Even though it didn't officially last long in the US, it was continued selling in Japan and spawned some great 2D Japanese shooters.

/dreamcast
Corporate

Update on VA0 with no video, now with video, but just black screen

Post by /dreamcast »

Hello, my last post was: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/1bd93mv/sega_dreamcast_va0_no_video_or_audio_most_of_the/

One of the comments was to replace the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. Well since I don't currently have replacement caps, but I decided to give the motherboard a good wash just incase of corrosion. So with a toothbrush I scrubbed the board with vinegar first, then with soap and water and rinsed. Dried the board in a preheating oven set to 170F (because I'm impatient) and tried it again. This time I have consistent video! But it still won't start. For video I'm using a VGA connection and with nothing connected to the GD-ROM port I get a video signal to the monitor (NEC MultiSync 3D CRT) and then the still dreamcast logo as expected. With the GD-ROM connected, I get a video signal on the monitor, but it's just a black screen, it will not boot a game or go to the configuration screen. I tried connecting my gdemu as well despite the voltage difference (I figured the chances of it killing it in a few moments is pretty slim), in that case there would be no video signal at all. All this was tested using the original PSU (all voltages were good as measured from the pins) and two different ATX PSUs (also all voltages good as measure from the motherboard pins).

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard, but I'm wondering if I should also replace other caps on the board. And by electrolytic caps, I mean the silver barrel caps labeled CExxx. There are other caps on the board that have the same CE prefix, but I don't know if they're electrolytic or not (I don't think they are as they are square and I believe that all electrolytics are round, but correct me if I'm wrong).

So should I be replacing more caps than the silver round ones? or am I barking up the completely wrong tree and there's something else I should be considering?
submitted by /u/thenebular
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... video_but/
/dreamcast

Return to “Dreamcast Forums”