PS3 incompatible Blu-Ray disc error code...getting very annoyed (long post warning)

[Released: 2006] The PS3 was the first console to use Blu-ray Disc as its primary storage medium. In September 2009 the updated PlayStation 3 Slim, was released. A further refined Super Slim design was also released.

/p3
Corporate

PS3 incompatible Blu-Ray disc error code...getting very annoyed (long post warning)

Post by /p3 »

Yep, it's me again! So recently I got a new PS3 (CECHG01) after my old Slim wasn't reading Blu-Ray/game discs. Figured that it was more worth it for me to get a new system and set the old one aside for another day rather than spend money on a new drive that may or may not work. The one I got is in immaculate condition, seller said he cleaned the lens and everything, and just yesterday it was working beautifully! I watched some DVDs and a Blu-Ray (the Cinderella 4K restoration + some Looney Tunes DVDs) and they worked flawlessly.

Today, I go to watch a movie on Blu-Ray. Until about 1 hour and 40 minutes in it freezes--not the console, just the movie. I haven't replaced the thermal paste yet or cleaned it out yet (tools needed arriving soon), so I figure it was just getting too hot, so I turn it off for about a half an hour and make some tea, then come back. Put the disc in again, go where I left off, and it freezes again after a few minutes. Repeat the same thing, freezes within the first minute. Then after the next time, it doesn't even open to the menu before telling me it's an "invalid Blu-Ray disc" with an error code, started with an 800, I think? Tried multiple other discs, same thing.

I then reset the whole console (it's fine, I didn't have anything important on it), and I put in the first movie again. This time, it loads to the menu fine, but once I press play, it's an invalid disc...again. I then tried a game disc and it just...didn't show up.

So as you can understand, I'm very frustrated. I bought a whole different console because I figured it would be better than risking it on an aftermarket laser/drive, it works perfectly at first, and then I'm getting the same thing. I have other Blu-Ray players, that's fine, but I just wanted a nice way to play my old PS3 games + my films all in one, and because yes, the PS3 Blu-Ray player is a really good player when it works (the responsiveness and DVD upscaling especially).

Does anyone know what this could possibly be and if there's a fix? I'm hoping to God it's not a laser dying...again...after I just bought this one. Now, I'm going to do the full paste replacement, dust cleaning, and clean the laser myself and see if that has any affect (maybe the seller didn't clean it correctly? Idk). If I have to replace the laser, then so be it, but it annoys me because of my own stupidity...I now have 2 PS3's with what appear to be faulty lasers.
submitted by /u/Motel6Owner
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/1 ... degetting/
/p3

Return to “PlayStation 3 Forum”