N64 Power Supply Overheat

[Released: 1996] The console's design was revealed to the public for the first time in late Spring 1994. The N64 console was frequently marketed as the world's first 64-bit gaming system and sold 500,000 units in North America during its first four months.

/n64
Corporate

N64 Power Supply Overheat

Post by /n64 »

Hey everyone,

Grabbed an N64 about a week and a half ago and have had no issues until last night playing Mario Kart 64 with my wife. System seemed to get extremely hot and shut down. I let it cool down for an hour and restarted it with no issues. The power supply was extra hot and had a minor smell to it. Actually system seemed fine.

I've played games for hours (Turok 2) prior to this and we only played Mario Kart 64 for maybe 30 mins before the system shut down. What does everyone recommend? I'm unsure if the power supply is 3rd party. Does anyone recommend somewhere to get a new power supply? (It still works currently, just got extra hot w/ Mario Kart). Mario Kart is original, so don't see an issue there. I haven't opened the N64 yet and I feel like it has good ventilation. Might put it on another stand to get air under it.
submitted by /u/HolyHailss
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/1 ... _overheat/
/n64

Return to “Nintendo 64 Forum”