Bootleg or Rare? Powerpuff Girls: Bad Mojo Jojo

[Released: 1998] As suggested by the name, features a color screen. It is slightly thicker and taller than the Game Boy Pocket, which is a redesigned Game Boy released in 1996. As with the original Game Boy, it has an 8-bit processor and the custom Zilog Z80 central processing unit.

/gbColor
Bustin' Moves

Bootleg or Rare? Powerpuff Girls: Bad Mojo Jojo

Post by /gbColor »

The game in question.

So this is the game I recently picked up in a small ebay lot. The gameboy color mod I recently snagged would match well with this since they're both pink so I didn't mind paying for one game I already owned as I was after a copy of WWF betrayal.

The potential bootleg and an authentic copy.

After some inspection though I'm nearly 100% confident the left version is a bootleg. The right copy was a childhood copy I received. They both work and seem to have no notable issues in their respective gameplay or sound. The left copy also reads "Game Color" unlike every other GBC game I own which read the full "Game Boy Color"

Backside of the cartridges.

I don't have a security-bit screwdriver but am planning on getting one to check my games I get in the future. Also noticeable is that on the potential bootleg the cartridge reads "Made in" and then doesn't say Japan like the one on the right.

The circle-A 'Chen' sticker doesn't lend to helping the games case, but I don't know what it means anyways.

\"RARE\" pink tamagotchi game listing.

I only include this image as it seems to be an authentic pink cartridge of a Japanese Tamagotchi game (something I can't find any others of outside of maybe Kirby Tumble) and I also found several sources for there having been pink gameboy cartridges but apparently none were ever used for manufacturing American games. For the above listing, it is pretty easy to find non-pink listings for the game so maybe it is actually rare?

I can't open it to check if it's a 'half-board' or not as I've seen on some other subreddits talk about. It also just comes off as an incredibly strange game to bootleg- like, I know you can bootleg anything. I just don't understand why you'd make bootlegs of a dirt cheap game that's all over the internet for under 5 dollars. Maybe if it was a bootleg that played all three of the gameboy color powerpuff girl games I'd get it- but I just don't understand. Even when the game came out years ago it would have been like 30 bucks USD. So is this thing real?
submitted by /u/Jupiter0_0Chan
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameboycolor/c ... mojo_jojo/
/gbColor

Return to “Game Boy Color Forum”