Thoughts on the new 2chip RGB bypass and edge enhancer?

[Released: 1990] The SNES was the best-selling console of the 16-bit era despite its relatively late start and the fierce competition it faced. The console was able to run some of the first three-dimensional video games on consoles, beginning with Star Fox.

/snes
Corporate

Thoughts on the new 2chip RGB bypass and edge enhancer?

Post by /snes »

I know the review versions haven't hit the YouTube channels yet. But that's great because more I get to ask you all before you are influenced by those reviews

What are your thoughts on the new voultar 2chip RGB bypass and edge enhancer mod?

From my understanding, voultar worked with Mike Chi (retrotink guy) on an FPGA that does all the Digital to Analog conversion and bypasses the stock DAC to create a clean image.

This goes beyond normal RGB bypasses that simply use a different video amplifier or restore mods that reenable puns Nintendo disconnected. And for me, starts to make an impure experience teetering on hdmi mods rather than rgb ones as it messes with the digital recreation of the image and not simply the analog rendering.

When I saw the comparison photos, it's clear why someone would want this with their tink4k scaler, because scaling 240p analog content all the way to 4k is going to show you stuff you were never intended to see (noise).

My concern with the edge enhancer is that when voultar showed the screenshot of Mario with the leaf in the background, on a rgb restored 1chip the leaf looked like it was drawn with a solid line to make a U shape but then the behavior of the default DAC made the image just ever so slightly blurry and appeared to fill in the U with more color and make it look like a leaf. With the edge enhancer mod on 2 chip, the leaf simply looks like a sharp line U and that's it. Similarly if I draw a +, a 1 chip can make that look ever so slightly like a glowing ball rather than a floating plus sign. On the 2chip edge enhancement it'll look exactly like a floating +
submitted by /u/Lifeisasimulation--
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/snes/comments/ ... _and_edge/
/snes

Return to “Super Nintendo Forum”