Most resilient filesystems for SD boot?

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Most resilient filesystems for SD boot?

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Have and old RPi1Brev2. Realizing that SD cards are effectively random error generators I'm looking at the best preventative measures. I realize I could just buy a compute module with NVMe support, but I'm curious what can be eeked out of this little SoC.
  • Software raid on rootfs - AFAIK, not possible on Raspberry. Maybe it's just a kernel limitation and can be fixed with a simple recompile, IDK. Software raid (RAID 1) would cut the life of the SD in half, but would allow the OS to survive for a while once errors started happening.
  • Ext4 mount options - AFAIK, the default EXT4 mount option is data=ordered. I went ahead and changed it to data=journal which should offer some better crash protection. Changing the default commit=5 to commit=1 will also help. But neither help with bad blocks. Loosing a data sector as a bad block will always cause data loss without RAID.
  • Better rootfs - Beyond EXT4 there are some filesystems like btrfs and ZFS that claim better resiliency than EXT4. I just don't know if any are supported in debian on root.
  • Full SLC sdcard - I realize much of it is marketing, but there does seem to exist high cost SLC sdcards that claim 10s of thousands of writes between failure.
  • HW raid sdcard - May be a fantasy, but it would seem possible to have a sdcard that split write requests between two sections of NAND. I know there is zero market for it, but still seems possible at least, just very unlikely.
  • Frequent media rotation - Knowing the MTBE, you simply clone your OS to new media periodically. Anyone know how to clone Raspbian from one SD to another?

Beyond this, things get more exotic with stuff like parchive or stuff, though I have no idea how to integrate that into a filesystem.

Any other thoughts, ideas, or working configs?
submitted by /u/brianddk
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... r_sd_boot/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”