Monthly PlayStation 2 Tech Support and Frequently Asked Questions Megathread

[Released: 2000] The PS2 was video game console of all time, selling over 150 million units. More than 3,800 game titles have been released for the PS2 since launch, and more than 1.5 billion copies have been sold.

/playstation2
Corporate

Monthly PlayStation 2 Tech Support and Frequently Asked Questions Megathread

Post by /playstation2 »

This is the thread where PS2 issues should be posted.
New users, please read the entire FAQ and check ConsoleMods. You may find your question is already answered here.

This post will be replaced by a new thread on the 1st of the month.

How do I install homebrew on my PS2?
FreeDVDBoot (alternate instructions) - Preferred way, does not support all PS2's yet.

PlayStation 2 DVD Player Exploit. This allows you to burn your own PlayStation 2 homebrew discs and play them on an unmodified console as seen in the demo video. With uLaunchELF as the initial program, users can include multiple homebrew programs on the same disc.

Read from here if you have a Slim PS2.

Read from here if you have a Phat PS2.

I have a modern TV, how do I make my PS2 look the best?
This video by My Life In Gaming summarizes your options well.

TL:DR If your TV supports it, use a component (YPbPr) cable. You can do a search on any online store for "PS2 component cables" and you should get some good results.

How do I make my PS2 region free?
Try SwapMagic, You'll have to search for a disc though.

Can I play PS1 backups using the Free DVD Exploit/FreeMcBOOT?
Not physical backup discs. However, you can use POPStarter to load PS1 games from VCD files and run them through a software-based emulator. The downside is that compatibility and performance is heavily degraded versus using a real PS1 game through the native hardware (which requires a modchip or other hardware modification).

How can I play online?
XLink Kai offers support for online-play for games that supported iLink (system link).

Specific games have issues?
Check this list to make sure that game isn't known to have issues on an original unmodified PS2.

Get a good answer?
After thanking the person who posted it, consider adding the answer on the PS2 Mods Wiki on ConsoleMods.org for others to find!
submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/1 ... requently/
/playstation2

Return to “PlayStation 2 Forum”