Summer Game Boy Build/Modding Contest 2023

[Released: 1989] The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series. Despite many other technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success.

/gameboy
Corporate

Summer Game Boy Build/Modding Contest 2023

Post by /gameboy »

Summer in the northern hemisphere means the weather is beautiful and perfect for staying inside and building some custom Game Boys! Let's show each other what we can do, and vote for winners. Build your best new idea and submit it in one of the following categories:

Aesthetic: Summer theme. Build something that reminds you of summer, something fun you did one summer, or anything traditionally summer-related. Summer summer summer. Try to stay focused on the summer theme, and show us a creative new custom build!

Technical: Show us the biggest of brains. Build something technically advanced. Custom shell designs, maniacal PCB designs, bespoke parts. No one except you can make this Game Boy.

Exhibition: Want to show off your store or personal brand with off-the shelf builds? Go ahead and submit under this category and include your socials and store link. Advertise all you want, and we'll all see it. There are no prizes in this category, just participation.

General rules:
  • Any build you submit must be a product of your own workmanship. Individual parts may be purchased from outside sources, but the end product must be your own.
  • All submitted builds must be modifications of a system from the Nintendo Game Boy family. The "bare metal" or "brain" of each build must be OEM Game Boy hardware. (In other words, no raspberry pi builds or other emulators fitted into a Game Boy shell. "Game Boy Macro" builds are allowed.) Complete builds must be able to run Game Boy games from OEM cartridges or a flash cart.
  • All builds must be "new" for this competition, meaning you're submitting a new project, not re-using a previous build. The goal of every Summer Build Contest is to invite innovation and inspiration with a challenge, so we generally require builds to happen within the start and finish time, or reasonably close to it. We're aware certain aspects take longer than the time allowed. If you've got a project still in its very-early stages that you started before the contest, send me or a Discord admin a PM about it. As long as you're respecting the spirit of the contest, we'll likely allow it. You have four months to take a project from inception (or near-inception) to completion!
  • Each participant may submit ONE build for the competition. Show us your best build!

The deadline for submissions is the end of the day on Friday, September 22 (the last day of summer 2023).

Voting: Completed builds will be presented anonymously, separated by category, in random order at the end of the contest. Details will be presented when it's voting time.

Prizes: Prize pools are still being finalized, check back here for updates!
Questions? Ask them below, or ping me (Splain) or other mods on Discord. You can also PM me or u/miketf1 on either platform if you have a project-specific question that you want to keep confidential. I'll update this post with relevant clarifications. Discord link: https://discord.gg/gameboy

To submit your build, use the Google Form linked below. Submissions will be kept confidential until the end of the competition, when it's time to vote for a winner. Submissions will remain anonymous until the winners are announced, though you can be as public or private about your progress/entry as you want. To update your submission, just fill out the form again and let me know.

Contest submission link: https://forms.gle/ssusufeMkuWGzmw6A
submitted by /u/alanbbent
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/commen ... test_2023/
/gameboy

Return to “Game Boy Forum”