Were the controls for the original Tomb Raider really that bad?

[Released: 1994] Sony entered into an agreement with Nintendo to develop a CD-ROM attachment, for the Super Nintendo. Due to contractual problems it was never released, and instead, a modified version was introduced by Sony called the PlayStation.

/playstation
Corporate

Were the controls for the original Tomb Raider really that bad?

Post by /playstation »

While I did grow up playing the original PlayStation in the 1990's, I missed out on the Tomb Raider craze of the time. I only started playing the games a few years ago and while the game controls nothing like games today, they were far from terrible or broken. The controls do take some time to get used to, but it's not impossible to play. I think what I dislike most is that Lara pushes boxes and climbs ladders way too slow. I also don't like being trapped against a wall by an enemy and some enemies in the first game were just way too fast. I still love the games even if the controls haven't aged well. I'm more impressed that the levels are so huge and I also find it impressive that the bodies of enemies you defeat remain on the ground which does put more strain on the hardware, but it is handy because it helps me remember I was there. There's over a dozen levels in each game and some levels playing for the first time can take an hour to complete. The puzzles are pretty fun and I do love the classical music. The real star however is Lara Croft, one of the most badass, athletic and confident female video game characters of all time. She makes it look very easy.

submitted by /u/JackLiberty0
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “PlayStation 1 Forum”