Ps1 5502

[Released: 1994] Sony entered into an agreement with Nintendo to develop a CD-ROM attachment, for the Super Nintendo. Due to contractual problems it was never released, and instead, a modified version was introduced by Sony called the PlayStation.

/playstation
Corporate

Ps1 5502

Post by /playstation »

Hey guys,
Im pretty new to the self modding / repair scene when it comes to consoles. I am able to desolder / reflow fairly decently as i have practiced a few times on a throw away board of other consoles.

Anyways, I was recently able to get myself a ps1 5502 model for a steal. Got it home and tried to run it but it was showing up black and white on my HD 4k TV. I ran it with the normal Composite cable that came with the console (also tried my ps2 cables). Did some digging and tried to figure out if my TV was Pal / NTSC but couldnt figure it out.

I Did connect the ps1 to a CRT tv and was able to get colour & sound there no problem. HOWEVER, once i reach the boot logo, it doesnt go to the memory card / Cd-rom menu. Out of accident, i was randomly putting pressure on all the chips on the ps1 while it was stuck on the Boot logo (diamond logo) and figured out something was acting up with the CD-ROM controller. When i pressed fairly hard on it, then the console would proceed to the memory card menu. I tried to reflow / resolder the chip but the symptoms remain the same. Is the chip bad? or is my soldering skills that terrible?
Also to take note, there seems to be an oscillator installed on the console but im not sure whether its the right one. Its also modded but im not sure what type of mod it has. I presume its a mod that was done in the 90's.

If you guys require anymore details or pictures, please do let me know. I will try to gather whatever details you need.

So i basically need to solve the Memory card / CD-Rom menu issue and also the black and white issue for the HD 4k TV.... i DO plan to get the PS1 Digital to solve the issue but it seems to be out of stock. I dont really want to get retrotink or ossc and rather have PS1 digital.
Sorry for the long read, hope someone can help!..

Thanks.

submitted by /u/xG1LTY
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “PlayStation 1 Forum”