[Noob] MVS beginner questions (Memory Card, Battery, Multicarts,...)

Open discussion for everything SNK, Playmore, Neo Geo, and Aruze.

/neogeo
Corporate

[Noob] MVS beginner questions (Memory Card, Battery, Multicarts,...)

Post by /neogeo »

Hi,
i just begun getting into the whole Neo Geo thing and intend to start out with a consolized MVS (havent bought it yet). There are still a few questions left, eventually someone has answers:
  1. How are savegames stored on MVS? On the AES there was a memory card from what i've read, but not on the MVS?
  2. On the consolized MVS PCB theres a header for a coin battery. Do i need to attach something there and what kind of information is retained with it?
  3. What is this whole Unibios thingie? The cbox i intend to buy comes with Unibios 3.3 preprogrammed but most YouTubers say that you absolutely need 4.0. I assume that i have to write the (E/EE)prom by myself with the appropriate device. Anyone knows which IC i need for it?
  4. I don't want to get into collecting MVS cartridges, just wanna play some of the games i played at the arcades back then. Are the 161-in-1 and 61-in-1 cartridges a good buy or should i get my hands on a NeoSD when possible?
  5. The cbox has USB ports in addition to the NeoGeo controller ports. I intend to use those because the controllers are easier to get. Anyone knows if the retro-bit wired USB Saturn controllers work. Are there any advantages in term of latency of using NeoGeo controllers or is this neglectable?
  6. Which video output gives the best possible picture? I intend to feed the video into a RetroTink 5x and output it via HDMI to a LCD display. I assume it's via the RGB connector which uses the Sega Genesis 1 Video connector.
Thanks,
Egon

submitted by /u/egrath
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “General Discussion”