NTSC scanlines vs PAL scanlines

[Released: 1983] The best-selling gaming console of its time. With the NES, Nintendo introduced a now-standard business model of licensing third-party developers, authorizing them to produce and distribute software for Nintendo's platform.

/nes
Corporate

NTSC scanlines vs PAL scanlines

Post by /nes »

Hi, I'm currently in the process of translating a wiki article about the NES, but there's one point regarding its technical capabilities that I'm having trouble understanding. The article in question states that the image quality is slightly worse on PAL systems as they "lack the short line dot at the end of each scanline render".
After doing some research, I believe this is referring to the fact that NTSC systems alternate between short and long scanlines, while PAL systems have scanlines that are all the same length.
However, I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what this means. First of all, am I understanding the implication correctly? If so, why is there a difference in how NTSC and PAL system render the image? What exactly is the "short line dot" technically speaking and does it serve a purpose that is not fulfilled on PAL systems? How does the lack of alternating scanline lengths result in lower quality image?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can clear thing sup for me.

submitted by /u/YugnatZero
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Nintendo Entertainment System Forum”