How many of your projects require powering your Pi through the GPIO pins?

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

How many of your projects require powering your Pi through the GPIO pins?

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Wondering how many of you power your raspis through the GPIO pins or hacked apart USB cables and if so what kind of issues/oddities/lifespan you've seen. I have quite a few maker projects around my house and sometimes size/extra wires/finding outlets is an issue so I'm forced to go GPIO route. I use a raspi zero for my pool controller (going to be posting a step-by-step tutorial at some point in the future when I'm done) and there is no traditional outlet (or even 110vover there for a USB plug. After 1.5 years of no-issues, it finally bit the dust. I used a cheap-o buck / step-down regulator to get the 5v and something on that board fried and sent who knows how many amps/volts into my raspi and killed it.
My "v3" of my pool controller will be sending 5.05v @ 2.2 amps through the USB port - so I'll see how long that method goes.
As for my "question" that didn't get answered. As I was building my new project, I was powering 5v through GPIO pins. Something must have crossed wires or happened. There is ONE GPIO pin - #16. If I send 3.3v (HIGH) to that pin, it send 1.2-1.8v LOW to OTHER GPIO pins. It's so strange. I was wondering if anyone had seen this behavior before, or if I fried yet another raspi.

submitted by /u/malachi347
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”