Help needed: Raspberry Pi Scanning Station Project

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Help needed: Raspberry Pi Scanning Station Project

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Hey there!
I am currently in the middle of setting up a headless scanning station for my home office.
What do I want it to do:
  1. Being able to put a document in the adf, press the scan button and have the document as searchable PDF scanned to a (network-)shared folder for access from other machines
  2. (Optional) Have the scanner available on different Macs in the network to directly scan

What hardware so far:
- Raspberry Pi 4 with Raspbian
- Epson Workforce DS310 USB document scanner (duplex, adf)
- Samsung T7 SSD
In addition to that, an old iPad Air (1st Gen) could be used as some kind of control panel for a possible webfrontend if headless operation doesn't work out.

Where I am right now:
I set up the Pi, SSD and scanner, including installing Epson drivers. The scanner is recognized by lsusb and can be used with xsane or Epson Scan 2 on the Pi via VNC. Scanning via scanimage in Terminal also works. I have the output folder set to the SSD and shared via SMB.

Where I am stuck:
For goal 1 (headless operation, generating searchable PDFs) I tried just using Epson Scan 2 as I did on my Mac, but their OCR component isn't available on Linux. I might try and use wine to get the Windows Version of Epson Scan 2 running, including the OCR component, but here comes the tricky part: They also use a so called Epson Event Manager to trigger the scan via pressing the hardware button on the scanner. I don't know if I can get this to work with vine and so (also for goal 2) I looked at other options.
I stumbled upon vuescan, what seems to do most things I'd like to accomplish, but it is pricey and registering the physical button press might still be an issue.
I tried to get the scanner to the network via CUPS, but CUPS only shows printers - the scanner is not recognized, even after doing their troubleshooting steps (getting permissions straight)
I saw that there are many additional "components" to sane, like scanbuttond and I am not afraid of writing a small python module to automate most of that. But before I sink even more time in trying more things, I thought that I cannot be the only one with the requirements outlined above.
Has anyone maybe already done such a project, if I'm lucky with the same scanner even?
Would you mind sharing your experiences for what works best?
Or did you not do such a thing but have a great piece of software (paid/free/open source, I don't care too much as long as it does what's needed) in mind?
Or does anyone know why CUPS doesn't detect the USB scanner?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Fransenson
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”