Help with CD ROM2 unit.

The CD-ROM² is an add-on attachment for the PC Engine that was released in Japan in 1988 and allows the core versions of the console to play PC Engine games in CD-ROM format in addition to standard HuCards. This made the PC Engine the first video game console to use CD-ROMs as a storage media.

/turboG16
Bustin' Moves

Help with CD ROM2 unit.

Post by /turboG16 »

I have a CD ROM2 unit, the white one, that is partially working, when i use it as a standalone player it works, it can read a music CD but with some problems, i mean if i touch it skeep tracks, scratchy music, but overall it works great with music CDs.
But when i put it in an IFU with my white PCEngine with system card, i cant load anything, not even a music CD, it just stays in the title screen of system card i cant get pass that screen trying to read, on the Display it just keeps blinking PC.
If i leave it there then it began to spin the disk really fast and make a loud noise while spinning .
I already disasembled the unit, the gear looks great, it has all his teeths and no sign of wear, so I cleaned the unit with IPA, and put grease on the parts that needed, but still the same behavior..
I already adjusted the pots but still the same.
I dont think that the IFU is the culprit because i have 2 of them and on both is the same.
Does someone knows what does this behavior means?..
Do i need to recap the unit?
Maybe a new laser?
Thanks..

submitted by /u/theartur77
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “CD-ROM²/Super CD-ROM²/Arcade CD-ROM² Forum”