Raspberry Pi dual monitor video viewing setup

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Raspberry Pi dual monitor video viewing setup

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Hello I'm Ayden, I'm new here and I need some help.
I’m working over the summer as an engineering intern, and I have a Raspberry Pi project to complete. Unfortunately, neither me nor my coworkers are programmers, and this project has proven to be pretty tough. I’d like to see if anyone out there can point me in the right direction, or even help me come up with very specific solutions to the problem.
I’m building a kiosk setup for viewing photo slideshows and videos on a wall here at the office. I have a Pi 4, a 7â€￾ Official RPi touch screen that uses the DSI display port, and a 32â€￾ monitor plugged into port 0. The images and videos are stored internally on the Pi. The 32â€￾ monitor is mounted into a wall, and the 7â€￾ display is mounted into the wall alongside it. The 7â€￾ screen is used as a soft control panel, with buttons that start specific photo galleries and videos on the main screen.
Here’s what I’d like to do specifically:

1. When idle, the main screen is showing a default image full-screen. Could be shown via Chromium in “Kiosk modeâ€￾.
  2. When a button for a specific photo gallery is pressed, the gallery is opened in the foreground in a viewer. (Suggestions on viewing method?)
  3. On the control panel screen
    1. buttons show up that allow me to advance manually through the slide show, and the photos advance based on alphabetical order.
    2. A “backâ€￾ button exists that will take you back to the main menu.
  4. “Backâ€￾ button is pressed, and somehow the slide show viewer is closed and the default image resumes on the main monitor, and the control panel screen goes back to the main menu.
  5. On the control panel screen
    1. Buttons also show up that allow me to show a video. When I press one, the video opens full-screen on the 32â€￾ monitor.
  6. On the control panel screen
    1. *Preferably* there is a standard time slider available, where I can drag it to various positions to move the video forward.
    2. Play, pause, and “backâ€￾ buttons exist. Play and pause do the obvious, “backâ€￾ kills the video viewer, returns the control panel to the main menu, and returns the main screen to the default image.

That’s about it! What I don’t know how to do is stop an application that is running, for example, VLC. Can that be done with Python? Maybe calling a Bash script from within Python? I’ve been working on Python code to create the control panel buttons, and have at least been able to create a button that plays a random video in a given folder via VLC. Can I control VLC (or some other video viewer) in a detailed way through Bash scripts with command line parameters? What would be a good way to view a photo slideshow in Raspbian? Would I be better off doing this with a web page, perhaps spanned across both screens?
Any big, general ideas or specific, tactical ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

submitted by /u/Ashearerclan
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”