Genesis Model 1 Bad VRAM

[Released: 1988] The Sega Genesis was Sega's most successful console; though Sega has never released a total sales figure quote. Several add-ons were created including the Sega CD and Sega 32X which extended its capabilities.

/genesis
Corporate

Genesis Model 1 Bad VRAM

Post by /genesis »

Pictures I just got a Mega Everdrive X3 in the mail and was playing Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker on my Model 1 VA6 when after about 20 mins severe video corruption showed up. After resetting the console, the issue would continue to return after varying amounts of time. The game still runs and plays as if nothing is wrong but the graphics themselves are completely corrupted. Tested an actual game cart (Sonic 3 combined with Sonic & Knuckles) and the issue showed there as well. After some research, this seems to point to bad VRAM (I’ve already cleaned the cartridge slot and am using a high quality Trinity power supply. have a recap kit on the way but I doubt it’ll help much). Is there any source for replacement VRAM chips outside of salvaging them from dead consoles? I’ll be opening my console later to check which VRAM chips it has specifically. Thanks in advance.
Edit: just to specify, i’m using HD Retrovision component cables with a Retrotink 2x Pro-M to connect this to the TV.

submitted by /u/legodano
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Genesis Forum”