SEGA Genesis + Mega Everdrive Pro as a development station for new Games/Software/ROMs/etc?

[Released: 1988] The Sega Genesis was Sega's most successful console; though Sega has never released a total sales figure quote. Several add-ons were created including the Sega CD and Sega 32X which extended its capabilities.

/genesis
Corporate

SEGA Genesis + Mega Everdrive Pro as a development station for new Games/Software/ROMs/etc?

Post by /genesis »

I bought a few Mega Everdrive Pro carts from Krikzz to get started using my Sega Genesis 3 as a development platform for new 68k code. I figured since I like the sega's aesthetic and hardware, I'd also like to use it to develop new ROMs on. I'm a fairly noob retro developer, but I saw the excellent curated list and printed out a bunch of coding references for the sega genesis platform. I'd most likely like to get my hands wet with Assembly, but I'm considering starting with C since I'm a bit more familiar with it.

So the question is, could the Mega Everdrive Pro Cartridge possibly become a useable development environment for new sega ROMs? If so, how? I'm very interested in using my sega as a makeshift homebrew PC of some sort by using the Mega Everdrive Pro. I'd like to have an idea of how feasible this would be. Has anyone used a Mega Everdrive Pro for development of 68k and z80 code yet? If so what are your tools? I mainly use Windows (10). Is it possible to add a keyboard to this thing and make it a PC? It's processor is fairly decent (for the time) and it has a VDP for moving stuff around on the screen.

submitted by /u/o5akafeeva
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Genesis Forum”