Turbo CD Disc Load Issue - Is it a Known Thing?

The CD-ROM² is an add-on attachment for the PC Engine that was released in Japan in 1988 and allows the core versions of the console to play PC Engine games in CD-ROM format in addition to standard HuCards. This made the PC Engine the first video game console to use CD-ROMs as a storage media.

/turboG16
Bustin' Moves

Turbo CD Disc Load Issue - Is it a Known Thing?

Post by /turboG16 »

Hi all, I have a question on Turbo CDs possibly wearing out or the hardware getting weaker. Over the weekend I was out of town and got a copy of Final Zone II at a retro game shop. The disc looks immaculate. I played it at home in a Turbo CD with an arcade system card.
The game boots to the opening cut scene, but there is a static sound and no CD music loads at all. The cut scene plays in full in silence. When I go to the title it displays fine with CD music. Once I press run the real problem begins.
The game loads...and loads... and I hear the laser working, but nothing ever comes to screen. I tried it again with the standard 2.0 system card next and there was no change. I tried out Star Parodier next with the arcade card and got to level three of the game with no load issues. I have not had this problem with any other officially-released CD games. I did have a reproduction game do something similar once, but then the laser was more erratic (I have also had burned games work without issue, generally I prefer not to play them on the console).
My question(s), is it a known issue for Turbo CDs, or any CD-ROM media to deteriorate over time? Is the problem failing hardware instead? Is there anything I can do to the game or console to get it up and running normally? Many thanks for any help!

submitted by /u/rigamaroo138
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “CD-ROM²/Super CD-ROM²/Arcade CD-ROM² Forum”