CDROM Problems with TurboDuo

The CD-ROM² is an add-on attachment for the PC Engine that was released in Japan in 1988 and allows the core versions of the console to play PC Engine games in CD-ROM format in addition to standard HuCards. This made the PC Engine the first video game console to use CD-ROMs as a storage media.

/turboG16
Bustin' Moves

CDROM Problems with TurboDuo

Post by /turboG16 »

Hi everyone
I recently got a TurboDuo that I'm working on restoring. I have never owned Turbografx anything, so I'm treading into new territory. The unit came with no accessories, only one game, and a busted audio volume control. I was able to obtain a power adapter, made my own AV cable, and sourced an aftermarket controller, and I've been able to test that the system appears to work when using the Hucard game. (By the way, I can see why 'Takin it to the Hoop' isn't considered a very good game...) Fixing the volume control was easy, just needed to resolder it to the mainboard. So far I'm fairly impressed with the sound and picture quality, considering the system's age. Its a very unique system. I have not made any adjustments to the system, nor have I re-capped it (yet).
So, the problems I'm having appear to be CDROM related. The CDROM spins up disks and attempt to read them, but doesn't seem to succeed.
First question - can you just burn a CD of the easily found online ISO images, and just put it into the system and have it work? No special burning, mod-chip installation, etc. needed, right?
Second question - when I put an audio CD into the system, it seems to detect that it is an audio disk (it puts up the built-in audio cd player) but I get no sound output from either the headphone jack or the AV cable. The little spectrum analyzer seems to correspond to the audio that should be played, but I get no sound output.
I'm unsure if there is a common problem between the two issues, but again, I have no experience with this, so I don't know where to start.
Thoughts? Thanks!

submitted by /u/leadacid44
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “CD-ROM²/Super CD-ROM²/Arcade CD-ROM² Forum”