ODE question - Any real reason to upgrade from a GDemu to a USBGD-rom?

[Released: 1998] Born out of Sega's darkest hour to decide whether the company stays in the hardware business. Even though it didn't officially last long in the US, it was continued selling in Japan and spawned some great 2D Japanese shooters.

/dreamcast
Corporate

ODE question - Any real reason to upgrade from a GDemu to a USBGD-rom?

Post by /dreamcast »

Howdy all, just wrapping up a Dreamcast modding project, and pretty happy with the results so far:

• Retrobrite'd the case
  • PicoPSU replacement
  • Noctua fan mod
  • DCHDMI installed
  • Socketed the CR2032 and added a fresh rechargable li-ion
  • GDemu + internal shroud for air flow with SDHC extender and SD card slot in the CD tray
Are there any other mods I should be considering? I saw mentions of a resetable fuse for the controller daughterboard, but haven't had any issues so far. Reading into Dreamshell and USBGD-rom, is there any real reason to consider upgrading or changing at this point? I understand that Dreamshell allows you to keep your GD-ROM intact if you want to run disc based games, which isn't too big a pull for me given my GD-ROM is on its last legs, even after re-greasing the rails. What about GDemu vs USBGD-rom? Other than GDI vs CDI compatibility, is there anything I'm really missing out on if I just stick with a GDemu?

submitted by /u/avramce
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Dreamcast Forums”