PC-Engine DUO-R, CD Audio Issues

The CD-ROM² is an add-on attachment for the PC Engine that was released in Japan in 1988 and allows the core versions of the console to play PC Engine games in CD-ROM format in addition to standard HuCards. This made the PC Engine the first video game console to use CD-ROMs as a storage media.

/turboG16
Bustin' Moves

PC-Engine DUO-R, CD Audio Issues

Post by /turboG16 »

Howdy turbo gang, so Ive got a PCE Duo R, RGB Modded. So my problem here seems to be like a semi-consistent problem where the CD music will randomly cut out, and just play the normal game sound effects until the next opportunity for a song to load. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it generally happens in similar spots. At first I thought oh I probably just have some jank discs but I tried playing some of the ones with this problem on my PC using the Beetle PCE core on Retroarch disc initiative thing so you can play the actual disc in the emulator and they played perfectly, no audio problems whatsoever. So I imagine it is an issue with my system. I tried gently cleaning the lens with some alcohol and it didn't seem to help much. This issue occurs both with burned Redump discs burned on Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs and official discs alike (although much worse with burned discs). However weirdly enough, music CDs seem to play totally fine, like no cutting out or skipping or anything? I just played through an entire album all the way through. Anyway, any idea what I can do here? The games play totally 100% fine its really just the audio that cuts out. It has been recapped a few years ago and I opened it up and none of them look to have gone off or anything. I've read some stuff online about pot adjustments or even laser replacements but just wanted to get an expert opinion before I mess around with any of that. Cheers thanks for reading my post!
TL;DR: PC Engine Duo cuts out and music / CD audio very often but play fine otherwise pls help.

submitted by /u/spaghetti-man-299
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “CD-ROM²/Super CD-ROM²/Arcade CD-ROM² Forum”